Ryder's Age

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Making baby food

I mentioned in the most recent posting that I have been making Ryder's food for several weeks.  I chose to make Ryder's because the store food label does not tell you that they use high heat to give the food an almost 2 year shelf life.  The food loses a lot of valuable nutrients during the high heating/preserving.  The store food has really come a long way, and if that is what you feed your baby, he or she will thrive and do great.  However, if you can find the hour or so once a week to batch prepare foods, your baby will get more nutrients from the food which he/she eats.  Also, I have read that babies who eat homemade foods transition better to table/finger foods because the tastes are the same (store food tastes more bland).  Here's broccoli I made last night (added breast milk to thin)!
Wash, steam (10 minutes), add milk, puree!

Some for now, some for later (freezing)!
How long does freshly made food stay good?
Strained fruits and vegetables 2-3 days in frig, 6-8 months in freezer
Strained meats and eggs 1 day in frig, 1-2 months in freezer
Meat/vegetable combinations 1-2 days in frig, 1-2 months in freezer
(from http://life.familyeducation.com/baby/foods/39378.html)

I'd love your tips on baby food making!!  Leave them in the comments for me and others!

1 comment:

  1. this is great, thanks for sharing! I def want to try to make most our food as well. No tips from this mommy to be yet still a rookie :)

    ReplyDelete